David Hessels G.G.
Graduate Gemologist – Specialist in historical, vintage and high-end jewellery
Certified gemstone and jewellery appraiser in accordance with the standards of DIN EN ISO/IEC 17024
State licensed auctioneer in accordance with the German Trade & Industry Code (§34b)
Jewellery Forensics is a B2B service, specializing in the analysis of jewellery and set gemstones, delivered as a comprehensive report. My clients throughout Europe include international auction houses, museums, law enforcement agencies, courts of justice and insurance companies.
The assessments are made on location with my mobile scientific gemological laboratory. All services are also offered in my laboratory in Soest, Germany.
All staff can be present so several departments can be serviced during my visit, for example, the Asian art department with Jade or Ivory
Fast service with instant diagnostic results and written reports within 10 working days
No logistics means absolute security. All jewellery stays on the premises under your supervision
Flexible working times according to your needs and deadlines
Immediate consultation with an expert who understands your needs and your business
About David Hessels G.G.
My knowledge and experience is based on 17 years of working as an auctioneer and expert for jewellery. My expertise includes the following activities:
- Valuation of consigned jewellery and “Objets de Vertu”.
- Gemological reports for diamonds, precious stones and jewellery.
- The organizing of auctions including platform and bidding logistics.
- Inventory and cataloguing.
- Forensic investigations / condition reports.
- Historical and provenance research.
Education, training and degrees
- Expert training in art history (applied art) under Jan Pieter Glerum, in cooperation with several international auction houses and museums.
- Certification as appraiser for cut diamonds, rough diamonds, precious stones and pearls at the Gemological Institute IGI Antwerp, Belgium.
- Certified Gemologist G.G. (Graduate Gemologist).
- Certified gemstone and jewellery appraiser in accordance with DIN EN ISO/IEC 17024.
- State licensed auctioneer in accordance with §34b of the German Trade & Industry Code.
- Guest lecturer (German Inheritance Academy, Dutch Federation of Valuers TMV, Vakschool Schoonhoven Technical College for Jewellery and Goldsmiths, and the VVNE – Dutch Professional Association of Gemologists)
- Member of the German Federation of Qualified Art Experts BVK.
Professional technical support in the preparation of your catalogue with in-depth descriptions of gemstones and diamonds set in jewellery and a detailed condition report
Microphotography of gemstones inclusions for cataloguing and ID purposes and / or jewellery reports
Comprehensive Gem-ID reports with treatments, geographic origin, “Inclusion Mapping”, and spectroscopic data
Quality control of purchased diamonds and gemstones, and quality control of production and restoration projects
Examination of forgeries and manipulations, detailed macro photography for ID purposes as well as historical and provenance research
Tracing possible owners after stolen jewellery has been found, or giving a profile of a potential owner